Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thank you

It's a little early for an introspective New Year's post, but I'm still thinking a lot about this semester and how things have gone and how much I've grown up. And on my way in this morning, I was contemplating how much blogging has affected this (and my processing of it). I started reading blogs right around the time I accepted my faculty position, beginning with Female Science Professor (suggested by happycat: thank you happycat!), doodling along to Drugmonkey from there, and eventually troodling (I made that word up) through into a whole array of interesting, thoughtful, insightful and moving writers (some of whom are on my blogroll but there are others I have forgotten to list). It opened a new world for me, where people were talking about exactly what I was worrying and angsting about, where I felt a stylistic resonance and an inspiration to start recording my own thoughts and experiences. I never knew I would want to be a blogger, and I never thought I would find blogs that are so right-on that I care about reading and want to keep up with.

So much of this is directly or indirectly because of all of you. My enjoyment of this experience, and the birth of my awareness of what is going on with my job and transition, have been actively and advantageously affected by my readers and commenters, and those who write about this crazy world of science. I just want to thank you all for that.

6 comments:

Isis said...

You're a pretty cool chick, Arlenna. It has been amazing for me to form these types of relationships with my move to MRU this year. I am looking forward to next year's blog shenanigans!

Nat Blair said...

No, thank you.

Your posts are always interesting to read, and when a new one comes up on the RSS feed, it's the first I click on. [Ok, maybe after any updates from ISI on citations to my papers, specials from the meat department at the local grocery store, new bids on auctions for my beloved Thunder Cats figures....but you get the picture. ;)]

Looking forward to what the new year brings to you and your science!

okham said...

I wrote a long and boring comment (in pretty bad English too) and then realized that Nat Blair had already said everything...
So, pretend you are reading it all over again :-)

happy cat says whaaaat said...

I'm really glad that one of my random suggestions struck a chord and helped inspire you to get back in touch with your creativeness. (I think blogging takes some creativity, no?) I really enjoy reading what you're going through, because you've always been a mentor to me, and now that you're not as accessible, it makes me feel like we're still connected.

/cheese

Happy New Year, Arlenna! Thanks for everything you do.

Nat Blair said...

Hey okham, always nice to meet another Thunder Cats afficionado!

;)

Candid Engineer said...

Yeah, a year and a half ago, I didn't even know what a blog was. Now I am ensconced! You too. :)

Your blog is great, always very thoughtful. Thanks for being part of the team.