Monday, September 14, 2009

Working from home

Ahh, what a good idea. I was completely stressed out about an impending deadline or three, arriving back last night from being at the NIH for a mini-conference last week with a blinding pregnancy headache, in other words totally dysfunctional. It's amazing how productive a day at home can be. Tasks accomplished:
  1. Dog picked up from boarding!
  2. Internal pre-proposal deadline met, including finishing project description and designing informal budget!
  3. Laundry completely taken care of!
  4. Clean dishes put away and dirty dishes put in dishwasher!
  5. Appropriate amount of calories and units of calcium/protein-containing foods consumed!
By saving myself the three hours I spend in the car every day on my commute, and the distractions of having an office right in my lab where everything and everyone catch my attention away from the work I'm supposed to be doing, I was able to actually get that work done. It is really nice to do this once in a while.

Now I need to use some of my husband-free evening to lay out my fall calendar with the other deadlines coming up, including:
  • two manuscript submissions
  • up to four proposal submissions
  • redesign of my lecture content for teaching beginning in two weeks
  • instituting a weekly journal club for my lab to start ASAP (they need it, not least for preparation for their cume exams, last two chances to pass occur over the next two months)
  • getting my lab ready for me to be gone for 2-3 months
  • getting myself and my house ready for having a freaking baby
It's gonna be one of those semesters!!! Jeebus.

4 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Whew! That's a full plate.

Good for you for getting actual work done while at home. I sometimes want to work at home, but it always turns into a giant fail.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

3 hr commute!??? Any way you can shorten this b4 baby comes? Driving on little sleep = ugh. Also if breastfeeding you'll need to pump/feed at both ends of that drive, pretty much.

But yeah, I love working from home when the situation allows--it feels like a vacation day even though I get stuff done. And it's so nice eating out of the fridge rather than having to anticipate the day's cravings...

Arlenna said...

I know, it's about 1.5 h each way to add up to a loss of 3h a day in real work or leisure time. There's no hope for an imminent change, either: my husband and I work in opposite directions and have things as good as they possibly could be for living in the same house while keeping our jobs as they are.

If I don't get tenure, that'll change our options lol: in about 5-6 years I'll know more about that. Otherwise, he's at least open to the possibility of changing jobs sometime in the next five years, but there's no way that will happen before we have a baby or even anytime within the next year or two afterwards. It'll be hard! But we're gonna figure it out somehow.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

If it's really un-fixable (aside from trashing your tenure bid, alas), then definitely you'll want your lab peeps to be working as independently as possible so you can trust them if you have a short day or work from home. It might be really good to shell out for a nanny or au pair, if that's financially feasible, because otherwise when you have to leave work early because daycare has called to say your baby is sick, you'll have sunk a lot of time into the commute for less usable time at work.